Traveling is fun. And with so many different places to see, new experiences to gain and various cultures to explore, it’s not a wonder why some can’t just get enough of it.
But have you ever been or maybe passed by a place with a funny name? If you did, you might have laughed but thought it was just one of the very few places with such hilarious names. But you’re mistaken.
Actually, there are so many places around the world with funny names. And though the sense of humor in their said names doesn’t guarantee the kind of experience you will get traveling to them, one thing sure is that just mention or the reading of them will get you smiling if not laughing.
So without further ado, here are the top 10 funniest place names around the world with a bit of information about them.
- Fucking, Austria – No, we’re not cursing Austria or referring to THAT. It’s just really a name of one its towns after a sixth-century local called Focko. And apparently, because of its name, its road-sign is one of the most stolen by souvenir hunters.
- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales – I dare you, pronounce it, lol. Anyway, its exact translation is “St. Marys Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel Near to the Rapid Whirlpool of Llantysilio of the Red Cave.”
- Middelfart, Denmark – As you can deduce, it’s not on the left or right but in the middle as it actually means “central passage.” And if you intend to go there, you can’t just miss whale-watching.
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, New Zealand – In the list of long names, here is another one that you just have to look at not read. And you might want to know, this is just the shortened version as the original is composed of 92 letters.
- Hell, Norway – Ironically, this village is a cold place. And with temperature as low as minus 20 degrees Celcius during winter, surely, it barely lives up to its name.
- No Name, Colorado, USA – No, really, that’s the place’s name. Residents just went for it after a Department of Transportation official labeled Exit 119, the ramp to access the community, “No Name” given that it, well, got no name.
- Dead Chinaman, Papua New Guinea – Though going to this place sounds like stepping into someone dead, it actually will just bring you to a quite populated region in Gulf Province.